Our new video call has landed
Drum rolls, please! Our new video call, which we've been busy working on since last year, is finally here and available to all our users. On top of a visual overhaul, you'll find brand new features and several quality of life improvements, too.
Here’s what’s new:
- Notes: Take time-stamped notes during calls – research synthesis has never been easier! You can also use emoji markers to quickly highlight the most important parts of your research session. Note-taking is available for spectators, too, making the research process more collaborative.
- Auto-reconnect and network messages: We’ve come up with new ways to provide a smoother and stress-free video call experience. PingPong will try to reconnect you automatically if the connection has been dropped for any reason. If we notice any connectivity issues, we’ll give you a heads-up, plus some tips that may help.
- Updated mobile view: Our mobile view has been revamped to make PingPong calls easier to use on smartphones. Screen sharing is also in the making, so stay tuned.
- Disable audio/video: You can now disable your camera feed or mute your microphone with a simple click during calls – pretty handy during the allergy season!
- Faster and simpler join experience: Our 30-second pre-call check has been replaced with much quicker under the hood checks. This speeds up the join process for participants while still offering guidance on how to troubleshoot the most common problems (think webcams and microphones). What’s more, participants can now join sessions even if their audio or video is not working, so there’s a bit more space to troubleshoot issues.
- Rebuilt recording processing: Along with the new call interface, we've completely rebuilt how our recording processing works. The video feeds are now combined into one large, continuous video file for each participant, so the clipping tool is much more reliable and easier to use. Meaning you can easily clip full-length recordings and download your interviews in just a few clicks. Note that this feature is only available for recordings created after 25 May 2021. Should you want to clip screen-sharing videos, you'll still need to create multiple clips.
- Spectators: You can now see who's spectating your session (this is not visible for testers, of course) and invite team members to spectate your session using a quick link. They can also take notes so your research sessions can be more collaborative than ever.
Refreshed project creation flow
We've transformed the general look of the admin, including the research-creation flow. The most noticeable change is probably the replacement of the visual step indicator with a less obstructing step counter and traditional navigation buttons.
You can now find team members and billing under the dropdown in the top left corner. The options are the same, but the new design offers a more unified feel with the rest of the interface.
Other changes you may notice
New session length options
Some of you’ve asked to run longer interviews, so we’ve added 90 and 120-minute sessions to the mix. These cost 1.8 and 2 credits, respectively.
New password strength requirement
With security being our top priority, we now require much stronger passwords for PingPong accounts. Your password must contain at least 16 characters including at least one special, one numeric and one uppercase characters. Not a fan of passwords? We are working on passwordless authentication methods in addition to the current Google login method.
We couldn’t be more excited: we're growing our team so we can go further, faster. What does this mean to you? There are some big features in the pipeline, like iOS screen sharing, bring your own users and more. No specific dates just yet, but we'll keep you posted!